How to Make It
Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick saucepan. Add the onion and cook until softened. Next add the carrot garlic and celery and cook for 5 minutes.
Add the thyme leaves pearl barley and vegetable stock and simmer for 25 minutes or until the barley is tender. Add the broccoli and tomatoes and cook for a further 5 minutes. Season to taste.
To serve stir through the spinach. Ladle into bowls and spoon some pesto over each one. Drizzle some extra virgin olive oil over each one and serve.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion finely diced
- 1 carrot peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 2 sticks celery diced
- 1 tbsp picked thyme leaves
- 80g pearl barley
- 1 vegetable stock cube made up to 900ml
- 100g broccoli florets finely sliced
- 1 tomato diced
- Handful baby spinach leaves chopped
- 4 tbsp pesto with fresh basil
- Extra virgin olive oil